When totally stressed out, depressed or lacking interest in activities, you can practice a variety of relaxation techniques.Relaxation techniques are methods that assist a person to achieve a calm and stress free existence. Relaxation techniques eliminate stress,depression and motivate you to perform your day to day tasks even better. You can achieve miraculous results at home and work, by practicing these techniques daily. There are many DVDs,VCDs and online videos that demonstrate the benefits of using relaxation techniques.
Relaxation techniques for stress relief
- Meditation is a holistic way of mental exercise.
- It benefits the body, the mind and the nervous system.
- It eliminates stress and lowers high blood pressure to a great extent.
- It enables you to be energetic.
- It gives relief from migraines, any tension related pains and insomnia.
How to meditate
- Find a quiet place to meditate. Sit in any comfortable posture. Close your eyes.
- Breath in and breath out, slowly and deeply.
- Initially, your attention may start drifting away, thinking of many issues. Every time this happens, remind yourself of breathing process that you are engaged in.
- Think of how nice it feels to breathe slowly.
- You could turn on some soothing music that you love to hear. Listen to it while breathing slowly and steadily.
- Practise this daily at least for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do not get disappointed or dejected if of other issues crop in while meditating. Daily practice will help you to think about breathing and not anything else.
- Make it a daily practise. You will learn to face and handle difficult situations in life with ease and in a stress free manner.
Video on How to meditate
Deep breathing exercises for stress
- Deep breathing is done by abdomen expansion as against shallow breathing which shows chest expansion.
- Lie down comfortably and let your body muscles be loose. Place your hands sideways.
- Inhale deeply – Exhale deeply. Repeat this for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You will feel relaxed and free of worries and tensions.
- Do breathing exercises before meals but never immediately after meals.
Video on Deep Breathing for Relaxation by Stress management expert Jordan Freidman
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- This is a method of alternating tensing and relaxing body muscles.This is used to treat stress related maladies.
- Lie down comfortably in a quiet room. Starting with your feet, contract muscles of each part way above to your head and face, one at a time.
- Then slowly release each tensed muscle one at a time from head to toe.
- Repeat this three times.
- This technique is very useful to treat insomnia and stress.
Visualisation techniques for relaxation
- This involves closing your eyes and seeing a mental picture of a serene and beautiful place or a scene where you feel protected and relaxed. Maybe a beach, with your dear friends or sprawled on the side of a grassy hill.
- Imagine a cool breeze blowing and you lazily making letters on the beach sand with your toes. Imagine you have dabbed some favorite perfume and think of the fragrance.
- Do this for 10 minutes in a quiet place in a relaxed position. After you finish visualising, breathe slowly and open your eyes slowly.
- You can also visualise yourself winning a competition. This can build confidence and make you more relaxed.
Video on Visualization Technique for relaxing and being stress free.
Practicing any or all these relaxation techniques will definitely help you be calm and at peace with yourself. Remember, a calm and peaceful mind will keep you free from stress and more focused.