Use area rugs to highlight and accentuate different locations in every room. Use colorful rugs and carpets in your living room, bed rooms and study to add a dash of color and creativity. These are available in a wide range of colors, textures and materials in the market. However, if you have a creative bend of mind and love Do it yourself crafts, then opt for these super frugal area rugs made at home. Listed below are some funky ideas for cheap rugs made of recycled material.
Towel Area Rugs
Buy two cheap thick towels from an economy store. Stitch them together at all the four ends. Make yarn flowers of another complementing color. Stitch these yarn flowers in the center of the towel in different designs. Also make a border of these yarn flowers to hide the stitches.
Video – Make pretty yarn flowers
Cheap area rugs made of T-shirts
Reuse old t-shirts. Cut 3” by 3” strips of different colored t-shirts. Fold and stitch each strip in half. Then stitch together all these folded strips in varying colors to make a larger cover. For the base, cut 2 or 3 pairs of old jeans, old thick bed sheets or any other thick material into short, broad pieces. Stitch these together. Place the other piece of stitched t-shirt pieces over the bottom thick base and stitch them together at all the ends, leaving one end open. Fill in scraps of cloth to make the rug thicker. Finally, stitch the last end securely. Your t-shirt floor rug is ready.
Pom Pom Floor Rugs
Make tiny pom poms with yarn in different colors. Stitch them together. Make a large round layer of tiny yarn balls. As in the t-shirt rug mentioned above, stitch this layer over another layer of thick material, leaving one end open. Fill this with cloth scraps to make the rug thick.
Area Rugs – Benefits
Colorful rugs add warmth and color to any dull looking room. Placing trendy accent rugs to define different areas, is a wonderful idea for people renovating their homes. This is a cheaper alternative to changing everything from furniture to accessories. A single area rug or a couple of floor rugs placed together can cut down unnecessary expenditure during home renovation especially if you are looking forward to change the flooring which is in good condition. An area rug can be an attractive focal point of a room. It is a soft, warm antidote for tired feet after a days hard work.
Area Rugs – Placement
Place area rugs in your dining area, living room seating area or under the center table. Use cute, colorful floor rugs in your kids bedroom to highlight activity area or play areas. A great home décor idea is to hang area rugs as wall hangings as seen in the picture above. I have seen this trend in a few in a few designer boutiques and home décor stores. This can be used for highlighting walls in passages leading from your living room to the inner areas of your home. Use beautiful wall hanging accent rugs or modern area rugs on your balcony walls or front porch.
Using Area Rugs – Top Tips
1. When using more than one area rug, make sure they are not of the same size. Same size area rugs make the room appear divided and smaller.
2. Use area rugs which complement each other. For example, use colors that complement each other, or patterns which match like a small navy blue dot pattern goes well with a medium light blue dot pattern. The trick is to avoid patterns and colors that are disgusting to the eyes.
3. Floor rugs must be in sync with walls. For wallpapered and textured walls with intricate designs, the area rugs must be in plain or subtle colors. If the walls are plain, the area can have intricate designs, oriental patterns and interesting colors.
4. Use easy to clean area rugs. They can cause problems for people with dust and mite allergies. The easy to clean aspect is a must for people with small kids and pets.
5. Rectangle is passe. Enhance your apartment therapy with different shapes of area rugs like oval, round, triangle or let your rug be shapeless with an amoeba like form.
6.Experiment with different materials found at home for making cheap rugs you can use on the floors. Use egg cartons, upcycled clothes or bedsheets, coir, ribbons,old plastic wires, plastic straws, colorful sponges etc. for making good looking floor rugs.